Crime and Punishment

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Apr 22 16:59:58 PDT 2002

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Brad DeLong wrote:

> It's historical memory of Auschwitz, not identification with Ariel
> Sharon, that is one of the principal drivers of U.S. policy.

And how did they honor that memory? By launching the Cold War, building enough goddamn nukes to incinerate the solar system, and paving Southeast Asia with cluster bombs.

I've walked around Central Europe. Every half block, there's some memorial to the crimes of the Nazis, and major newspapers still run articles on the horrors of the Third Reich. No such institutional memory exists in the NY Times or CNN, which is just one of the reasons the US is so prone to bouts of psychotic, thermonuclear-level violence -- and of approving and financing such bouts in others. The only weapon capable of slaying such a beast is the unvarnished truth:

"Sharon, Sharon, what you you say - how many kids did you kill today?"

-- Dennis