Hayek

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 23 10:11:40 PDT 2002

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>It's deep hard stuff.

Hayek? Deep hard stuff? Are you serious? Regardless what you think of him, that seems an odd characterization.

I much prefer Keynes's comments on Prices & Production, a deeply bizarre book: "one of the most frightful muddles I have ever read, with scarcely a sound proposition in it beginning with page 45, and yet it remains a book of some interest, which is likely to leave its mark on the mind of the reader. It is an extraordinary example of how, starting with a mistake, a remorseless logician can end up in Bedlam. Yet Dr Hayek has seen a vision, and though when he woke up he has made nonsense of his story by giving the wrong names to the objects which occur in it, his Khubla Khan is not without inspiration and must set the reader thinking with the germs of an idea in his head."

Doug