our commitment to Israel

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Apr 23 10:31:23 PDT 2002

At 07:43 PM 04/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>We in the United States were terribly late to the party that was
>World War II (and bear a lot of historical responsibility for being
>late to the party), even though we brought a lot of refreshments when
>we showed up. We need to make sure we do not make the same mistake
>twice. Hence our commitment to Israel is absolute.
>
>It's historical memory of Auschwitz, not identification with Ariel
>Sharon, that is one of the principal drivers of U.S. policy.
>

>Brad DeLong

Dear Brad,

This argument defies reason and common sense. Let me see, you are saying that after fifty years of 1) genocidal colonial wars in East Asia 2) countless genocidal incursions into Latin America in order to protect corporate interests 3) an endless racial and class war against its own population.....America is now completely committed to a moral course of action which now drives U.S. policy in the Middle East?

Is that your argument? Because, the problem is that you're not at an academic cocktail party in Berkeley. You're on a very left-wing chat group discussing this issue with people who know the history and who are well aquainted with the depth of U.S. moral scrupules.

It's not cute and endearing, it's nauseating.

Joanna