Argentina

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Apr 24 15:07:59 PDT 2002

Brad DeLong wrote:

Argentina "obedient " Victim

Interview With Eduardo Galeano

ARGENTINA DID EVERYTHING IT WAS ORDERED TO DO BY THE INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND AND IT'S DESTROYED...

Does Eduardo Galeano really not know that the IMF spent a lot of time telling Argentina to (a) balance its budget (either by reducing tax evasion or cutting spending) or (b) move off of its hard peg of the value of the peso to the dollar?

I guess filed most of their complaints quietly, since the public documents of the BWIs were full of praise for Argentina's economic and fiscal management.

Quoting myself quoting them: