Argentina

Juan Jose Barrios jota at netgate.com.uy
Wed Apr 24 19:37:45 PDT 2002

> Brad DeLong wrote:
>
> Argentina "obedient " Victim
>
> Interview With Eduardo Galeano
>
> ARGENTINA DID EVERYTHING IT WAS ORDERED TO DO BY THE INTERNATIONAL
> MONETARY FUND AND IT'S DESTROYED...
>
> Does Eduardo Galeano really not know that the IMF spent a lot of time
> telling Argentina to (a) balance its budget (either by reducing tax
> evasion or cutting spending) or (b) move off of its hard peg of the
> value of the peso to the dollar?

during the Menem years (first term, second term)? during the De la Rua term, when the crisis was a fact? Isn't it true that Argentina was the model to follow? any single report you read up to 1999 at least is about how good Argentina was performing. So, although you may be reffering to some sort of inside info....your comment just does not make sense, Brad.-jj

ps: Galeano lives a few minutes from my house, in case anyone is interested....