Argentina

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 25 11:02:39 PDT 2002

>during the Menem years (first term, second term)? during the De la Rua
>term, when the crisis was a fact? Isn't it true that Argentina was the
>model to follow? any single report you read up to 1999 at least is about
>how good Argentina was performing. So, although you may be reffering to
>some sort of inside info....your comment just does not make sense,
>Brad.-jj

At least when I was in the Treasury in 1993-95, and talking to the Treasury OASIA Latin America people and the IMF America people, the overwhelming view was that the currency board was a short-term but not a long-term solution, and that the currency board needed a nearly balanced budget--national debt growing no faster than GDP--to support it.

But on your broader point, I think you are right: Argentina achieved 80%+ of the goals set it by its international neoliberal policy advisors, and yet the situation has ended in disaster. No one can anticipate that *any* political system can deliver more than 80% implementation of *any* political program, and so any program that requires more than 80% implementation in order to be a success is simply not worth attempting at all.

When I talked to Jeffrey Sachs about this, he put it another way: that the Washington consensus guys at the Treasury and the IMF weren't very good at distinguishing between "necessary" and "desirable," and that while the Argentinian government did a great many things that were desirable from the neoliberal programmatic point of view, they failed to do the one thing necessary--to curb tax evasion--if they were to maintain the currency board. Then he began making analogies to genetic diseases where one wrong base-pair kills you, and saying that budget deficits and currency boards are in such a relationship.

Brad DeLong

P.S.: Some selections from emails from former not-very-senior staff: