SJP at Berkeley

Michael McIntyre mmcintyr at depaul.edu
Wed Apr 24 17:35:08 PDT 2002

I know nothing at all about the specifics of SJP, but this charlatan's point 8 gives the game away, doesn't it? Learn to spell Gandhi's name before invoking him, asshole. And then do a little fact checking and find out how many lawyers King kept around to get him out of jail ASAP when he was arrested. Gandhi's insistence on the redemptive power of unmerited suffering is distinctly an idiosyncratic sideline in the history of nonviolent direct action. But this pompous little bureaucrat, who has no doubt spent his life ducking and covering, wouldn't know anything about that, would he?

Michael McIntyre

>>> joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com 04/24/02 17:12 PM >>>
I wrote to all the vice chancellors; here is the reply from one of them.

Comments?

8. You have also raised the matter of civil disobedience. A long history of civil disobedience in the spirit of Ghandi and Martin Luther King recognizes the importance of suffering the consequences of one's actions. That understanding seems to be absent among the protesters in this case.

John Cummins Assistant Chancellor