SJP at Berkeley

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 08:09:32 PDT 2002

with all due respect: I hope you can see the distinction I am trying to point out. In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law as the rabid segregationist would do. This would lead to anarchy. One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly, (not hatefully as the white mothers did in New Orleans when they were seen on television screaming "n-word, n-word, n-word") and with a willingness to accept the penalty. I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law. Martin Luther Kgin ;)

Michael McIntyre <mmcintyr at depaul.edu> wrote: I know nothing at all about the specifics of SJP, but this charlatan's point 8 gives the game away, doesn't it? Learn to spell Gandhi's name before invoking him, asshole. And then do a little fact checking and find out how many lawyers King kept around to get him out of jail ASAP when he was arrested. Gandhi's insistence on the redemptive power of unmerited suffering is distinctly an idiosyncratic sideline in the history of nonviolent direct action. But this pompous little bureaucrat, who has no doubt spent his life ducking and covering, wouldn't know anything about that, would he?

Michael McIntyre

>>> joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com 04/24/02 17:12 PM >>>
I wrote to all the vice chancellors; here is the reply from one of them.

Comments?

8. You have also raised the matter of civil disobedience. A long history of civil disobedience in the spirit of Ghandi and Martin Luther King recognizes the importance of suffering the consequences of one's actions. That understanding seems to be absent among the protesters in this case.

John Cummins Assistant Chancellor