SJP at Berkeley

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 25 09:33:52 PDT 2002

That excerpt was from the Letter from B. City jail and I suspect it means exactly what it says. In fact, it is my understanding (limitied though it may be) that King was very aware of the how the seeming double standard of his law breaking played in the North. Perhaops it is merely rhetoric to placate queasy Northern liberals, but I see no reason to read it as such.

eric

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote:

Eric wrote (using some silly font that could not be copied in the reply:

> with all due respect:

King is easy to misuse. One of the ways was recently pointed out by a poster on psn: namely, King often used some such expression as "You had better deal with me or else violent leaders will replace me."

Translation:

"I will stand here peacefully while you beat me up. But if you do and refuse to give me what I want, that man over ther will shoot you."

I suspect (and this is in praise not criticism of King) that his words re accepting punishment were equally double-tongued.

Carrol