narratives

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Thu Apr 25 12:45:43 PDT 2002

> . . . Back to Chriss and his Southerners Stand In Solidarity With the
> Al-Aqsa Brigades...Does he really think that a two state solution
> or a secular democratic state or whatevah "dispwnsation" eventually gets
> imposed, on both fucking parties to the conflict, will eventuate using
those
> methods? Or will, Israeli public opinion shift further right, throw out
Sharon
> (typed Shamir, at first) to bring back the even more ferociusly effective
> Netanyahoooooooooo!
> It's weak argumentation that pushes folks like me back towards
> being more aligned against the more extreme pro-Palestinian positions.
> Seeing the disaster that right-wing and Labour Zionism has created but
unable and
> unwilling to embrace, w/o reservations the other narrative.
> Michael Pugliese, liberal no goodnik ;-(

Military victory of Palestine through armed struggle is clearly a fantasy, but that is not the same thing as equating the violence on each side. The Israeli point about moral equivalence is right; it's just that their violence is what ranks lower in relative terms.

Praising armed struggle in this context is simply encouraging people to self-destruction. Doubtless they need little encouragement in any event. If the PLO made some miraculous turn to Gandhi-style CD, the IDF would start shooting them anyway. But I don't think they could get away with that indefinitely. Imagine if all the Palestinian martyrs died as innocents, or in non-violent resistance? I don't think the current state of afffairs could last, but I could be wrong. Certainly the Palestinian cause would be no worse off.

The Tony Judt piece in NYR points out that bloody armed conflict has not precluded settlement in other instances, so the use of arms by the PA et al. on this account would not preclude a settlement either, although it does not seem to increase its likelihood.

mbs