narratives

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Apr 25 17:36:17 PDT 2002

"Max B. Sawicky" wrote:

> Not in this context. It's hard to imagine Israeli
> troops going over to the other side or, in light of
> armed opposition, refusing to fire their guns.

You're probably right here. Everytime I fly to the east coast I come down with a cold on returning home -- so I'm not real quick right now.

There's a question of just how much (Palestinian) blood the "world community" will tolerate. And if (as seems likely) the Israelis are going to find an excuse to shed more and more blood, wreck more and more homes, regardless of what the Palestinians do, it is also a matter of whatever keeps up Palestinian morale under impossible conditions.

The Settlers, incidentally, count as military, not civilians. Or if they're not military, than they are common thugs rampaging in one's living room. They have no rights.

I think it might be interesting to look up articles on Israel in _The Reporter_ back in the '50s. The Palestinians were being quite meek then -- and if I remember correctly (I subbed to the _Reporter_ then), they were still being savaged in the pages of that cold-war journal.

Carrol