SJP at Berkeley

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Sat Apr 27 07:44:41 PDT 2002

> I am curious what the Berkeleyites say to the main point of the email
> -- protesting in academic buildings is verboten.

How do you feel about rules _in general_ when it comes to 'orderly protest' ...? From the things I've read locally, it seems like SJP upped the ante and got called on it; that probably helps them in the short term (got a lot of headlines, and the surface-level look will make UC look bad) but I'm not sure Shingavi's name will go down in history the way Mario Savio's did.

Yoshie's extrapolation to teacher strikes is bogus; teachers aren't student groups, and academic sanctions like who to expel and which groups can get permits are well within the purview of a University.

This wasn't a surprise to SJP: they had plenty of warning and went ahead with it in order to force the issue and capture the headlines. A marginal tactic at best, IMHO.

/jordan