dignity and college, according to dubya.

Guilherme C Roschke groschke at luminousvoid.net
Mon Aug 5 15:07:34 PDT 2002

http://www.newsday.com/news/printedition/ny-livit302803771jul30.column?coll=ny%2Dnews%2Dprint .....

The bill would let welfare recipients fulfill part of their work requirements by going to college.

Here's what George W. Bush said about that yesterday while addressing a $1,000-a-plate fund-raising crowd gathered in a South Carolina high school gymnasium:

"In the way they're kind of writing it right now out of the Senate Finance Committee, some people could spend their entire five years on welfare - there's a five-year work requirement - going to college. Now, that's not my view of helping people become independent, and it's certainly not my view of understanding the importance of work and helping people achieve the dignity necessary so they can live a free life, free from government control."

-gr