Beauty

José Rodríguez & Sally Everson pepor at caribe.net
Mon Aug 5 15:26:10 PDT 2002

I agree that the issue of beauty - and/or physical attractiveness is one that makes us all skittish - we are all so ambivalent about our bodies, no matter what others think of us. Except of course here in cyberspace. But most our lives are still conducted face to face and we all have to deal with that. As for Fanon and Black Skin, White Masks - yeah he gets right the internalization of racism by black men, but when it comes to black women, well I think he had some problems there. He condemns the black women's desire for white men as simply a way of moving up the social ladder, while ignoring that black men (himself as well??) also married white or lighter skinned women to improve their social standing, while lusting after (and exploiting) darker women. That still obtains here as well: ads featuring white or light skinned, european featured women are for upscale products or to connote purity, cleanliness, etc. Ads that rely on female sexuality feature browner women - triguenas or triguenitas as they are called here (although rarely dark or black women, or women with african features - curly hair & flat nose seem to be the two most prominent ones -- although the newspaper inserts, weekend flyers tend to represent more diversity in terms of physical types). But this duality persists here and it seems in the Caribbean in general: a high valuation of white or light skinned women on the social scale, while dark and black women are sexualized. I notice that in the Dominican Republic ads - like billboards -- are very 'white' which sort of shocked me for a while, since it seemed that Domincans are darker than Puerto Ricans in general and are an independent nation and all. I was expecting the opposite I suppose. So in a way US imperialism, ironically seems to mitigate much of this colorism/racism. ANd it also seems to me that large US /multinational companies that have made recent inroads into PR -- like Home Depot, KMArt, & WalMart also tend to feature more diversity in their ads, unlike older companies like JCPEnney and Sears which also are more upscale stores. I haven't really read anything on this phenomenom, but I have noticed it.

As for social advancement, while I'm not into climbing to the top of the heap myself, here and elswhere, moving from the lower class into the middle class can be a huge improvement in one's life. There's no glory in being at the bottom that's for sure. So if one had to make use of one's looks, I think trading it for a better life with more opportunities and choices, autonomy and being treated better seems worth it if one is lucky enough to be able to. Very few can trade it for fame, though many are enticed to try. Sally Everson

-----Original Message----- From: joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Saturday, August 03, 2002 7:46 PM Subject: Re: Beauty