Gore did it to himself

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Aug 6 00:42:05 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 9:16 PM Subject: Re: Gore did it to himself

> 1) Any U.S. citizen over the age of 35 can run for president. The Greens
> have every right to run Ralph Nader as a candidate.

And I have every right to crudely insult everyone I see while walking down the street in an attempt to impress them with my acerbic wit. That doesn't mean I should. In fact, like Nader's candidacy, doing so would seem to be a poor prudential bet.

> 2) It could just as easy be argued that the SWP candidate cost Gore the
> presidency in Florida.

Could such a result be reasonably foreseen in advance? Has the SWP prevented other Democrats from winning races? Do you think the Republicans are likely to attempt to funnel a large donation to the New Mexico branch of the SWP?

> 3) Or, it could be argued that Gore cost Nader the presidency.

Only by an ignoramus. Nader would've been hard-pressed to crack 30% at the polls in Gore's absence.

> I think Doug's earlier comment was the perfect retort to this renewed
> whining about Ralph Nader. I don't like that union-buster Nader, but I
> can't stand this stupid thinking from Democrats who can't think for
> themselves.

If you have any other points that aren't ad hominem in nature, I'd be more than happy to share more groupthink with you.

-- Luke