Gore did it to himself

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Aug 6 06:42:16 PDT 2002

On Tuesday, August 6, 2002, at 12:10 AM, Luke Weiger wrote:

> Did it ever occur to anyone that recognizing the tepid quality of Gore's
> campaign doesn't entail excusing Nader for costing him the presidency?
> Nader apologists are about as astute as the local sports columnists who
> solemnly points out that the last second blown call handing the game to
> the
> visitors was really inconsequential because the home team should've been
> further ahead. Sheesh.

it's certainly more astute than thinking a basketball game is decided in one second. why do they bother playing for 40/48 minutes? they should go out with no shot clock and a total of ten seconds on the clock. tip off and go from there. decide all the 0-0 ties with free throws the way they use penalty kicks in soccer. (thanks to brad delong for starting the new lbo-talk "sheesh" tradition.)

any more ad hominem arguments, luke?

again, btw, your analogies are less than sparkling. the easy comparison of political campaigns to sports events not only doesn't provide a useful analogy, but reflects, in my mind, the extent to which politics has become a spectator sport, in this country. tracking polls is like looking at box scores, and it's all really about picking a winner.