Iraq

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 22:17:59 PDT 2002

>>Shortly after 9/11, there was an attempt to
relate Iraq to the attacks. The original claim that Mohammed Atta, one of the hijackers, met with Iraqi intelligence in Prague earlier in the year, quickly fell apart, as Czech officials engaged in an array of recantations and re-recantations. There are also allegations, recently resurrected, that Iraq had a terrorist training camp at Salman Pak, where Islamic fundamentalists were trained in how to hijack planes. It's hard to argue against any of this simply because there's so little there there; in fact, for months the administration stopped claiming any connection, unthinkable had there been any concrete evidence. The best current argument for this connection is Donald Rumsfeld's dictum that "the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence."<<

The preponderence of journalistic info. that I've seen leads me to believe that Atta did indeed meet with Iraqis in Prague. Prague, you see, is one center of the US-funded anti-Hussein efforts and the Iraqi diplomatic delegation there has been marked by defections. My theory Atta was meeting with Iraqis all right, and that he did indeed leave for the US for the last time from Prague. However, he was tracked by Czech intelligence and the US did nothing because Atta was already passing as a 'US asset' in the anti-Hussein efforts. So all the more reason why the US would want first news items that make it look like Hussein and then have those denied and then undenied. Most people lose track of all the funny goings on, and it worked beautifully.

Another interesting too good to be a coincidence thing is the leading anthrax suspect (remember all the bluster about how it had to be Hussein), Hatfill in Frederick, MD, is on a list of UN inspectors trained to go to Iraq.

This admininstration is beyond the imagination of Tom Clancy, that's for sure.

Charles Jannuzi