Revolutionary role of unions

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Aug 7 15:01:35 PDT 2002

I triggered a brief thread on some list sometime in the last year or two which contained some interesting observations on this general topic. My suggestion was that there is at least some historical evidence that labor unions are for the most part potentially revolutionary in their process of _formation_. The struggle for union recognition, or for the very legality of unions, is strongly radicalizing. Even the hardest fought "ordinary" strikes, on the other hand, let alone the day to day practice (grievance procedures etc.) is seldom radicalizing. This would not support anarchist repudiation of unions as such, or even repudiation of existing unions. It would suggest that unions are a bad place, or at least not a primary place, to look for the development of class politics.

It is simply not true that u.s. workers dislike unions. Employer action (particularly the regular firing of trouble-makers) simply makes union organizing too difficult and too dangerous. Which brings us back to the failure of the DP to move seriously against the reluctance/inability of the NLRB to enforce labor law against capital. And the DP simply isn't going to change. Has that senator from Minn. ever used his legislative position to issue exposures of NLRB failures?

Carrol