crappy American meat

Charles Jannuzi b_rieux at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 15:51:25 PDT 2002

>>BTW - Russian food used be as (if not more)
awful: basically beets, buckwheat (yuk!), and animal fat. However, during my visit to Leningrad this spring I discovered that this is no longer the case, and there is a considerable choice of decent food. wojtek<<

Right, the choice of decent food is considerable, but then think about the health and social system collapse many Russians have suffered, and you have to wonder if a lack of the old diet hasn't contributed to it.

What's wrong with any of the three? To make some dishes, you need beets. Buckwheat is far better than the near nutritionless cereal grains most of us eat (though beware, some people can have a serious allergic reaction to buckwheat).

If you get to some areas of Pennsylvania, track down buckwheat hotcakes. They are delicious. Buckwheat at one time was a very important food for a lot of old world and then new world peoples(like Scotts Irish trying to grow crops in the rocky Alleghenies).

One Japanese food is 'soba', buckwheat noodles, often served cold with grated 'daikon' radish here in Fukui. Best taken with a dose of some sort of fat though, because pure carbs on the gut are pretty irritating.

Charles J