urgent business relationship - and food

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Fri Aug 9 15:38:30 PDT 2002

At 12:05 AM 8/9/02 -0700, Gar Lipow wrote:

>Actually I was responding to:
>
> >Diabetics are constantly put on low fat diets to reduce their
>BS numbers when, in fact, a low sugar, low carbohydrate diet stabilizes
>their blood sugar. The freaking doctors don't know!
>

>written by a certain Kelley!

<snipped stuff that didn't address my question: how is that diabetics have trouble processing carbs after they've been on a restricted carb diet? >

firstly, oblate was responding to something you'd said about weight loss. the reason why i singled it out was this: who was even talking about weight loss? we were talking about the US diet. I was talking about stabilizing BS levels using low carb eating plans. I wasn't even talking about weight loss??! More importantly, my point was that most physicians don't have a clue about nutrition. Just like they don't have a clue about pharmacology and, hence, drug interactions.

So, my rant was about the contradictory information that people get, as well as the see saw of this is good, not it's not crap that we get fed by the hypermedia.

My point was that physicians are still proscribing diabetics low fat diets to stabilize their blood sugar when this actually works against them. If they aren't overweight, they may well gain "bad" fat as you pointed out yourself.

Most physicians don't know about these changes in thinking about diet--not diets to lose weight--but our daily food intake to live. If physicians don't know, I was saying, how can we expect USers to know that?

secondly, mea culpa: i meant to type "low sugar, low refined carbohydrate" diets.

From the more balanced article, what strikes me is that these low carb diets actually turn out to be relatively close to the very kind of diet that the more balanced article recommended! 80-100 grams carbs (from fruits, legumes, and vegetables not from refined flours and sugars) and 60-80/60-80 grams of fats/proteins. voila! 40-30-30! amazing! so what exactly is the beef? tallow? lactose? heh.

I obviously am not going to address the rest of the links because they have nothing to do with my question about diabetes. Maybe Charles who seems more up on this stuff? Charles is there any evidence that the low carb approach you took is bad for diabetics?

As for my take on low carb, I've already explained but this is more like what I was talking about: http://www.health.harvard.edu/article.cfm?id=48 They provide a graphic illustration of the changes in thinking about the traditional food pyramid. I don't consider Harvard's Women's Health a bunch of quacks!

Kelley