Post-Left Anarchism?

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Mon Aug 12 19:57:40 PDT 2002

Chip Berlet wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can independently verify all of the complaints about Jason McQuinn raised
> by Janet Biehl. McQuinn has openly promoted left/right convergence and
> conspiracy theories. See for example, Jason McQuinn, "Conspiracy Theory vs.
> Alternative Journalism?" Alternative Press Review, Winter 1996, p. 2.

I'm a close personal friend of Jason McQuinn and I have to disagree with this characterization of his views. Jason is not interested in promoting any form of left/right convergence. This is simply slander coming from the the cantankerous universe of Bookchin/Biehl.

> I realize that some liberals are hyperbolizing the left/right convergence to
> justify government repression, but there is, in fact, something going on
> that raises serious issues.
>
> Antisemitism and Holocaust denial are one aspect, but there are others. Pat
> Buchanan is helping a new publication that has a stated purpose of uniting
> left and right anti-globalization and anti-elite activists. There are open
> attempts by rightist libertarians and "national anarchists" to recruit left
> anarchists. This is happening in North America and Europe. Sweeping this
> under the rug by personally attacking Janet Biehl is hardly sufficient.

I'm aware that there are some stupid racists and fascist trying to recruit anarchists, but as far as I've heard, they have had zero success. Anarchists are natural anti-fascists so the fascists are wasting their time.

Biehl advocates some rather weird crap which she and others use to tar and feather any critics of Bookchin. This nonsense has been used to misrepresent the views of all anarchists who don't agree with Bookchinism. I consider myself to be an advocate of the post-Left critique, yet I spent an hour this morning doing some anti-racist organizing (posting a call to resist the National Alliance's demo in D.C.).

<< Chuck0 >>

Personal homepage -> http://flag.blackened.net/chuck0/home/index.html Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)