unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 14 15:46:43 PDT 2002

Todd Archer wrote:

>Doug, what I was interested in hearing was your reasoning behind why
>you feel socialization of control of capital seems to "change" the
>analysis of who controls capital.

I'm trying to figure out 1) who, if anyone, controls the system we call capitalism and how, 2) how to go about expropriating the expropriators, and 3) what in the modern capitalist firm is a foretaste of a better world, and how we might get there from here. When populists (like the analytically challenged folks in the Program on Corporations, Low, and Democracy [POCLAD] <http://www.poclad.org/>), say, rail against "corporations," just what are they against, and what would they put in their place? Are they, like Chuck0, opposed to corps because they're big and semi-permanent institutions? When Marxists talk about socializing capital, just what is the target (banks? pension funds? MNCs? the corner drycleaners?), and what would be done with them? Know the enemy and all that.

Doug