RES: Three cheers for Brazil

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 15 12:06:23 PDT 2002

Alexandre Fenelon wrote:

>The Economic Times
>
>Wednesday, August 14, 2002
>
>Three cheers for Brazil
>
>Joseph Stiglitz
>
>World markets seem to be turning up their nose at Brazil right now. They may
>be as mistaken about Brazil as world football experts were earlier this
>summer.
>
>When the World Cup began, you will recall, the Brazilian team was deemed
>talented but flawed. Yet somehow Brazil again became the World Cup champion.
>The country, too, may prove equally surprising and resilient.
>
>Indeed, in recent years, Brazil has created a vibrant democracy with a
>strong economy.
>
>-Yeah, but this "strong economy" is growing 2,5% an year while population
>-growth is 1,2%, and the growth rates are declining since 1999. The public
>-debt went from 30% to 60% of GDP despite massive privatizations.....

etc.

Thanks for this. I'm interviewing Stiglitz in about 2 hours (assuming he shows up), and I'll bring up your points.

Anyone have any questions for him? I'll be in email range only until about 4:15 NYC time, when I leave for the studio.

Anyone wanting to listen (assuming he shows up): WBAI, 99.5 FM New York and <http://www.wbai.org>, 5-6 PM eastern US time, and tomorrow, up on my radio archive site <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Radio.html>.

Doug