"Anarchy Reigns in Social Production" re: unions

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Aug 15 15:17:11 PDT 2002

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 :
> The question "Will there be airplanes?" can't be answered
> definitively with "yes" or "no." Airplanes as they exist now are
> predicated upon different constellations of social relations that
> may or may not be coercive, authoritarian, unjust, etc. If
> airplanes are completely dependent upon social coercion to
> exist - that is, if fate is so merciless that airplanes may only
> exist if people are oppressed in some manner - then I think
> people, especially those bearing the brunt of whatever coercion
> is involved, should be able to decide if they want to have any
> part in making them. If they don't, then the airplanes won't
> get made. Theorists shouldn't decide it in advance of the actual
> society; the decision should be a particpatory one made by those
> most affected by the production and its effects.

[....]

> The point that I made above, about airplanes, could probably be
> better said this way: the people at the point of production should
> be the theorists enacting their will, or debating it - not an elite
> intellectual class deciding What Will Be and What Will Not Be.
> It should be the collective decision of those affected by the
> production of such things.

<blink> <blink> Whoa.

There is no elitism in answering 'yes' or 'no' to the question 'Will there be airplanes in an anarchist society?'. No one is subjugated by answering. Most complex technologies require large scale production with a wide-ranging division of labor and some form of central coordination. Is there any anarchism that supports this, in any form?

-- Shane