"Anarchy Reigns in Social Production" re: unions

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Thu Aug 15 20:53:45 PDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002 s-t-t at juno.com wrote:

> <blink> <blink> Whoa.
>
> There is no elitism in answering 'yes' or 'no' to the question 'Will
> there be airplanes in an anarchist society?'.

No, deciding for oneself what modes of transportation would exist for everyone else in a hypothetical society is more akin to megalomania than elitism. The elitism isn't in answering the question (By the way, where did I assert that it was?). It would be in trying to make one's edict - "There shall be no airplanes" - the reality for everyone else, simply by decree. That is exactly elitism. A relevant example is Primitivism: There shall be no high technology in an anarchist society. That's the decree. It's elitist when primitivists take it upon themselves to remove it from everyone else's use.

> Most complex technologies require large scale production with
> a wide-ranging division of labor and some form of central coordination.
> Is there any anarchism that supports this, in any form?

Sure, just read Daniel Guerin's Anarchism (Monthly Review Press), Albert Meltzer's "Anarchism: Arguments for and Against" (AK Press), or help yourself to www. anarchosyndicalism.org. These issues are addressed by Chomsky (addressed in part in his "debate" with Michel Foucault, archived somewhere at the Chomsky section of zmag.org), Dolgoff, and other recent writers in these areas. In short, anarcho-syndicalism or simply syndicalism ("the industrial expression of anarchism" as Berkman called it), or the anarchism put into practice by Spanish workers in the 1930s, have posited that its very possible for complex, advanced industrial societies to be organized along anarchist lines. This isn't Spain in 1936 to be sure, just as it isn't Marx's 19th century, but there are still similar problems of socio-economic organization, alienation, disempowerment, class property etc., that, while not making the earlier analyses completely relevant, doesn't merit their wholesale disregard, either. It's also helpful that there are modern anarchists analyses by folks such as Graham Purchase, Jon Bekken, Chaz Bufe,Sam Dolgoff, and Daniel Guerin that have held forth the idea of a very hi-tech and industrialized society that operates according to libertarian principles.

Brian