"post-leftism"

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu Aug 15 21:15:51 PDT 2002

On: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:24:09 -0400 Chuck0 <chuck at tao.ca> typed:
> Yes, anarchists have created their own institutions, but for the most
> part, these institutions have been failures. What Brian is conveniently
> ignoring is all the self-management and organic associations that
> anarchists form all the time for a variety of purposes. These projects may
> last for one action, or they may last for a few years. Most of the
> organizing that anarchists do does NOT have the goal of creating permanent
> institutions.
>
> There are good reasons why anarchists avoid institution-building. There
> are plenty of writings on this subject.
>

> I'm talking about organic groups that have a lifespan. You are advocating
> a form of leftism that believes that permanent institutions are the way to
> achieve rdical social change. When post-leftists argue that anarchism is
> still plagued by leftist thinking, we are talking about the quasi-Leninism
> that you are advocating.

<snip>

Oh come on. Permanent institutions are "Leninist"? I suppose that since Leninist organizations are mostly neutral or anti in regard to vegetariansim, non-vegetarians are "Leninist" as well? How about anarchist who don't think highly of consensus as a decision making process? Are they Leninist as well. Please don't label every position you disagree with as "Leninist", especially positions held by a large number of anarchists.