"post-leftism"

s-t-t at juno.com s-t-t at juno.com
Fri Aug 16 10:10:03 PDT 2002

Chuck0 writes:

> I disagree with you that this kind of move would entail any kind of
> Mathusian shrinkage. I've always agreed with the Food First! folks
> that there is enough food around to fee everybody, it's just a matter
> of politics and distribution. Get rid of imperialist neoliberalism and
> let folks around the world have their land back so they can feed
> themselves instead of growing food for export to Northern countries.

But distribution, as well as the agricultural practices that yield such voluminous crops, require the very complex industrial products and practices that will not be created or used in your post-revolutionary society. That's in no small part why there was, and probably still is, a crisis of food distribution in Afghanistan. You're not a Malthusian yourself, but what you advocate would necessitate Malthusian shrinkage.

-- Shane