The Rise and Rise of Human Rights

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Aug 17 06:50:06 PDT 2002

>The Rise and Rise of Human Rights, Kirsten Sellars, Sutton Publishing, 2002
>
>In charting The Rise and Rise of Human Rights, Kirsten Sellars
>argues that in the decades after the Second World War, human rights
>have always come to the fore when other ideologies or doctrines were
>exhausted or ineffective.
>
>For most of the post-war period, human rights were subordinated to
>the doctrine of anti-communism. It is in the present post-Cold War
>era that human rights ideals have been in the ascendant. Human
>rights have been embraced and championed in recent years by a
>coalition that includes celebrities, politicians and a multitude of
>foot soldiers in the human rights industry.
>
>More at:
><http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006D9CD.htm >http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/00000006D9CD.htm

There has not been a word wasted on human rights, though, as far as the planned US adventure in Iraq is concerned. The prevailing discourse is not humanitarian but monarchical:

***** Mr. Bush added: "I'll continue to consult. Listen, it's a healthy debate for people to express their opinion. People should be allowed to express their opinion. But America needs to know, I'll be making up my mind based upon the latest intelligence and how best to protect our own country plus our friends and allies."

<http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/17/international/17PREX.html> *****

The stake boils down to the "credibility" of the sovereign:

***** Richard N. Perle...said by telephone from France. "The failure to take on Saddam after what the president said would produce such a collapse of confidence in the president that it would set back the war on terrorism." <http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/16/international/middleeast/16IRAQ.html> ***** -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html> * Anti-War Activist Resources: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/activist.html> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osu.edu/students/CJP/> -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020817/4d6f0580/attachment.htm>