SS privatization

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sat Aug 17 07:06:04 PDT 2002

Michael Pollak <mpollak at panix.com> writes:

> On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Doug Henwood wrote:
>
> > Think the bear market has killed Social Security privatization? Fox
> > News reports on a recent poll:
> >
> > >Sixty-eight percent of respondents favored private
> accounts, a margin
> > >of well more than two-to-one.
>
> Unbelievable. But at least there are some signs of growing sense.
> Perhaps the moral is simply that people learn slow. But there's
> going to be a lot of retirees comparing notes like the following
> in the years to come. And like they always say, Old People Vote.
> Wouldn't it be nice if this became their idea of the good old days?

What I detect is a tremendous amount of fear. Most people in the newsgroups are very much afraid that they won't get Social Security. I believe the fear is realistic, not because of supposed program defects, but because some of our important leaders see no reason to continue it. But instead of organizing to protect their interests, they swallow their enemies's nostrums, as if clutching at straws. In a way this is realistic too, if they feel, as they seem to, helpless before the demands and desires of our leaders. It is their feeling of helplessness that they do not acknowledge.

It seems to me that the more intelligent a newsgroup denizen is, the more fervent he is against his own interests.

-- John K. Taber