Concord Coalition?

John K. Taber jktaber at tacni.net
Sat Aug 17 06:53:24 PDT 2002

Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:

> Found that one too -- "Will America Grow Up Before it Grows Old?"
> Do you recall if Peterson writes anything about the SS
> disability program?

Nope, nothing specific comes to mind. However, when I confuse Reagan and Nixon, you better check.

> >The Concord Coalition seems to have faded in recent times. At
> >least, I'm not seeing them quoted in the newsgroups.
> >

> It is back with this dynamic duo's editorial in the Washington Post
> and seems the mission is still the same. Hopefully I can put this to
> some use.

I read that op-ed piece as a reminder that they are still here, still pushing. It's a bunch of them. Pete du Pont is apparently supporting a similar group in Dallas, The National Center for Policy Analysis. See http://www.ncpa.org/. It was quoted several times in the newsgroups.

Their web page is remarkably uninformative about funding, showing only a pie chart with gross percentages from foundations, corporations, and persons. No names.

If anybody gets a handle on their funding, I would sure appreciate knowing.

In other words, there is a bunch of conservative think tanks and grassroots organization still there, pushing to end Social Security, almost a religion. I don't recall anything specific on disability, but I'll keep my eyes open.

-- John K. Taber