"Playing Dirty in the War on Plagiarism"

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Sat Aug 17 05:41:03 PDT 2002

http://chronicle.com/jobs/2002/08/2002081501c.htm

"When I taught Gulliver's Travels to my "Introduction to Literature" class one year, three women turned in the same paper. The first one I flunked for reasons I will explain in a moment. The second flunked because I recognized the paper from my earlier reading, and the third one flunked because she had not only turned in the same paper as the others, but she had not bothered to reformat the paper from the site she downloaded it from. She printed all that was on the screen, including advertising, hyperlinks, the source of the paper (a popular term-paper service, by the way), and then scrawled her name on the back of the final page."

heh. I always enjoyed it when they plagiarized me and/or the texts we'd read (and for the majority of the 5 p. assignment)! Sometimes they wouldn't plagiarize per se, but they'd quote the material and source it and include about 6 sentences of their own writing. Ace!

kelley