"post-leftism"

JCWisc at aol.com JCWisc at aol.com
Mon Aug 19 08:51:13 PDT 2002

In a message dated 08/19/2002 9:35:48 AM Central Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

> >OK, but if the population needs to be "dispersed" to get us all out of our
> >"unsustainable" cities, who's going to do the dispersing?
>
> People can be very shy about answering that question. You often hear
> "cities are unsustainable," and "there are too many people," without
> the speaker taking responsibility for the resettlement and the herd
> thinning.

It also lends credence to the standard conservative argument that leftists in power visit untold sufferings upon millions of people in the here and now in the pursuit of some vague utopian vision of the future. I don't buy into the conservative argument, of course, but it's ironic that anarchists opposed to "coercion" in any form make arguments that have immensely coercive implications. If that's the alternative, give me incremental reformism any day.

Jacob C.