"post-leftism"

Joe R. Golowka joeg at ieee.org
Mon Aug 19 13:05:31 PDT 2002

> > >OK, but if the population needs to be "dispersed" to get us all out of our
> > >"unsustainable" cities, who's going to do the dispersing?
> >
> > People can be very shy about answering that question. You often hear
> > "cities are unsustainable," and "there are too many people," without
> > the speaker taking responsibility for the resettlement and the herd
> > thinning.
>
> It also lends credence to the standard conservative argument that leftists in
> power visit untold sufferings upon millions of people in the here and now in
> the pursuit of some vague utopian vision of the future.

That is precisely what authoritarian leftists advocate: using the coercive power of the state to force us into their utopia. Actually, that's what conservatives do too, except wer'e already living in their "utopia".

> I don't buy into the
> conservative argument, of course, but it's ironic that anarchists opposed to
> "coercion" in any form make arguments that have immensely coercive
> implications.

This is only the case if you equate ending your privledged position with coercision. That's obviously a moronic position, but one frquently taken by people who seek to rationalize their position.

-- Joe R. Golowka Anarchist FAQ -- http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"If the Nuremberg laws were applied today, then every Post-War American president would have to be hanged." - Noam Chomsky