Bob Herbert on the criminal injustice system

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Mon Aug 19 12:13:12 PDT 2002

I don't know if anyone has noticed. But Since July 29, Bob Herbert, in his NY Times op-ed Columns has been giving some of the examples of the oppressiveness of our criminal inustice system I've seen. His recent stuff belongs on the front page as investigative reporting.

Unfortunately, NY Times stuff moves into premium content fast.

Here are the articles still available in the free archive

August 12 - the last of a series on Tulia, Texas where one dishonest informant has lied a large portion of the black population of entire town into jail. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/12/opinion/12HERB.html?pagewanted=print&position=top

The 15th and today - a retarded woman, and her friends are convicted of the murder of a baby who never existed. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/15/opinion/15HERB.html?pagewanted=print&position=top http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/19/opinion/19HERB.html?pagewanted=print&position=top