post-leftism

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Tue Aug 20 15:11:35 PDT 2002

joanna bujes wrote:

> At 10:46 PM 08/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >I'd like to level the world
> >up, not down. I just don't find your prescriptions very convincing, that's
> >all.
>
> Right, the question is "what is up?" I would be perfectly happy with clean
> water, healthy food, modern dentistry and good medical care. Cuba seems to
> be able to provide that on a shoe string. I have gotten to the point where
> consumer items literally make me nauseous. I am hardly an ascetic, but I
> would love to trade in the baubles if I could have my (unalienated) life back.

This is basically what I'm advocating.

It would be nice if the world were levelled to the point where every person had access to food, clean water, shelters, and other essentials of life.

Bringing everybody up to a Western standard of consumer life is impossible without making the planet one big poisonous ruin. Besides, isn't this what capitalism claims its goal is?

<< Chuck0 >>