abortion and eugenics

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 22 17:41:10 PDT 2002

At 07:31 PM 8/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>>"In the era between the Great Depression and Roe v Wade a significant
>>number of activists, intellectuals, academics, and professionals viewed
>>eugenics, euthanasia, and birth control as kindred causes." Ian
>>Dowbiggen, "A Rational Coalition": Eugenics, Euthanasia, and Birth
>>Control in America, 1930-1970. Dowbiggin teaches history at the
>>University of Prince Edward Island.
>>
>>These intellectuals, says Dowbiggen, were concerned with the "responsible
>>care of human life" and disabled persons as well as elderly persons were
>>targets of this "care." I am certain not one damn one of them actually
>>considered the oppression of their subjects.
>
>Yes, this is alarming, but it shouldn't get in the way of seeing free
>access to abortion and birth control as a fundamental rights or principles.
>
>This seamless web stuff sounds nice, but serious opposition to abortion is
>pretty recent and has a lot to do with anxiety about women's independence.
>I'm not inclined to give it much slack.
>
>Doug

we all know doug needs no Amen Corner. but i have to express my complete agreement with the above.

i'm tired of people who prefer unborn life to life, fetuses with gills and tails to the intended outcome. the abortion non-issue has always been a technique of social control, of divide and conquer rather than anything else. the "News" is too full of stories about newborn babies being found dead in trash cans thanks to our superstitions.