Shaming Young Mothers

R rhisiart at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 23 12:45:28 PDT 2002

isn't this just swell. nothing like an article about fascism to make one's day.

>NY Times
>August 23, 2002
>Shaming Young Mothers
>
>By NICHOLAS D. KRISTOF
>
>Do you want to know about the sex life of Sandra, a 33-year-old brunette
>in Tampa?
>
>Just read the Florida newspapers. Sandra is being forced by Florida
>state law to buy advertisements that give her full name (which I'm not
>repeating) and physical description: 5 feet 2 inches, 142 pounds, brown
>eyes. Then, as the law requires, she has to list and describe the five
>men she had sex with late last summer: Bill, Tommy, Allen, Eric and
>Joshua.
>
>This new state law requires women — even 14- and 15-year-old girls, even
>rape victims — to disclose the name and address of the father of a baby
>offered for adoption, or else to publish these ads for four weeks.
>Perhaps not since a tribal council in Pakistan ordered a woman to be
>gang-raped in June has a government treated women with such contempt.
>
>The new Florida law was meant to reduce the risk of a father's emerging
>years after an adoption and seeking custody. So the law stipulates that
>the mother must publish her name and description, along with the names
>and descriptions of men whom she cannot locate but with whom she had sex
>around the time of conception.
>
>"It's extremely humiliating," said Melissa Colleran, a pregnant
>18-year-old New Yorker now living in Florida and planning to give her
>baby up for adoption. Ms. Colleran doesn't know where the father is but
>is pretty sure he won't be happy at seeing his name in the newspaper.

if you can stand reading more about this crime against women and nature, here's the site:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/23/opinion/23KRIS.html -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20020823/cf475a7a/attachment.htm>