calling in loans

Joe R. Golowka joeg at ieee.org
Tue Aug 27 11:10:53 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> How does an anarchist support welfare, anyway? It's a state program
> after all.

It's better then people starving. Of course in an anarchist society welfare wouldn't be needed since there'd be no private property.

It should be noted that private property is also a state program (although the right-wingers who rant about "big government" will never admit this). Not having welfare doesn't really shrink the state; it just rearranges the state to the benefit of the capitalists. If we must have state programs I prefer those which are more advantagous to the oppressed.

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ -- http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"The basic problem is quite simple. An elected representative is not tied in any substantial way to particular policies, whatever the preferences of the electorate. Influence on the politician is greatest at the time of election. Once elected, the representative is released from popular control but continues to be exposed to powerful pressure groups, especially corporations, state bureaucracies and political party power brokers." - Brian Martin