Mass Movements and "The Left"

Chris Clarke cclarke at faultline.org
Tue Aug 27 16:17:30 PDT 2002

on 8/27/02 3:43 PM, Carrol Cox at cbcox at ilstu.edu wrote:

> You are vainly attempting to pick out a selection of "good
> people" who are wisely preparing for the future, which will enable you
> to pick out the "bad people" who are hiding indoors. It won't work.

Not at all. I'm expressing an opinion about theoretically counterproductive behavior, which I feel we would all do well to guard against.

Having seen my share of small-scale movements colonized by ideological splinter groups, I will, however, confess to some suspicion of the notion of waiting for a movement to arise so that "we" can sway it in a correct direction. I much prefer the notion of active participation in those small-scale movements so as to further their objectives.

-- Chris Clarke | Editor, Faultline http://www.faultline.org | California's Environmental Magazine