Chechen slave trade (and query for all)

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 29 12:37:09 PDT 2002

Q: Why is it nobody in the West seems to have heard about the Chechen slave trade? I mean, what is this? Is there some kind of total news blackout on this subject or something? I mean, this is like reporting on Israel-Palestine and not mentioning the suicide bombers. Before I moved to Russia, I had no idea such a thing even existed.

CD

Hostage released in Chechnya after over 9 years in captivity

GROZNY. Aug 29 (Interfax) - A hostage who spent over nine years in captivity in Chechnya was set free after an operation by federal forces, Deputy Commander of the Combined Federal Forces in the Northern Caucasus Col. Boris Podoprigora told Interfax on Thursday.

Viktor Ushakov was abducted in Ingushetia in 1993, Podoprigora said. He was held as a slave in various settlements of Ingushetia since then.

Following information that Ushakov had been moved to Chechnya, a federal unit engaged in an operation in a western district of Chechnya and set the hostage free.

No federal servicemen were not hurt in the operation.

Ushakov will be sent home in the near future with the assistance of the forces' command, Podoprigora said.

Meanwhile, seven people were abducted in Grozny and other towns within the past 24 hours.