Mass Movements and "The Left"

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Fri Aug 30 21:44:21 PDT 2002

In a message dated 8/28/02 8:27:37 PM, owner-lbo-talk-digest at lists.panix.com writes: Chip Berlet writes:
>I remember reading Shulamith Firestone's the Dialectic of Sex, and
>The Politics of Housework by Pat Mainardi of Redstockings, both in
>1970. Both were widely talked about by feminists in the growing
>women's movement in the early 1970s, and handed to potential male
>allies (usually along with brooms.) :-0

"...for a time, at least, men are the enemy and... radical men hold the nearest battle postion," Beverly Jones and Judith Brown (no relation) "Toward a Female Liberation Movement" (1968)

Shulamith Firestone's article linking the new movement to the Women's Rights Movement, 'The Women's Rights Movement in the U.S.: A New View' is in "Notes from the First Year" (1968)--a bold title for a journal, and evidence of a consciousness at the time that something was being started--consciousness Carrol expressed some doubt we can ever have. "Notes from the First Year" and "Toward a Female Liberation Movement" are available in original form from Redstockings Women's Liberation Archives for Action, at www.redstockings.org ... as is Pat Mainardi's "Politics of Housework" (part of the Redstockings First Literature List packet), and the broom's in the hall closet.

Jenny Brown