Fw: The Nation: "dreary" (fwd)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Aug 31 14:51:43 PDT 2002

Chuck Munson wrote:

>Hear, hear. I'm glad to read Doug's opinion's on this dreary and
>ugly magazine. Of course, Z features some good writers, but I've
>never understood why the design of the magazine has been kept so
>unappealing.

In one of the first issues of Z, Michael Albert and George Scialabba (and whatever happened to him? he was good) had an exchange over the issue of "style." S was for it, A was against it. A's argument was that aspiring to stylishness was really an attempt to seduce the elite. (Wish I still had the text - I'm doing this from my unreliable memory.) Also, someone close to Albert told me once that he thinks editing is an authoritarian activity. Voila, a hideous, clunky magazine that has "take your castor oil" written all over it.

Doug