Fw: The Nation: "dreary" (fwd)

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sat Aug 31 14:44:08 PDT 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Marta Russell wrote:
>
>> Naomi Klein writes for Znet.
>> Does that put her in the trash can too as some on this list have
>> suggested?
>

> Uh, Marta, just because one thinks Z magazine sucks - a position I
> concur with, since it's ugly, mind-numbing, and dull, the printed
> equivalent of donning a hair shirt - doesn't mean that people who write
> for ZNet (which isn't the same as the magazine) are bad. Naomi's not,
> and you're not. Quite the contrary - Naomi's a very good writer, and I
> think enough of your work to have asked you to write a piece for LBO.

Hear, hear. I'm glad to read Doug's opinion's on this dreary and ugly magazine. Of course, Z features some good writers, but I've never understood why the design of the magazine has been kept so unappealing. Perhaps it is an example of this stupid attitude that the ideas themselves are all that matter--fuck the packaging. Of course, as a person who appreciates good design and artistry, I would counter this by suggesting that we could also dispense with editors and proofreaders if the ideas were the only thing that mattered.

For magazines that are attractive, well-edited, and push the envelope,

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

"...ironically, perhaps, the best organised dissenters in the world today are anarchists, who are busily undermining capitalism while the rest of the left is still trying to form committees."

-- Jeremy Hardy, The Guardian (UK)