The Nation: "dreary"

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Sat Aug 31 15:09:55 PDT 2002

I like a lot of the Znet writers. Some good writers even contribute to Z magazine. But that doesn't mean the overall product is readable, fun or enlightening.

The lameness of magazines like Z and the Progressive seems to transcend - and overwhelm - the talent of particular writers. Take the Progressive, for instance. With columnists like Barbara Ehrenreich and Adolph Reed, you'd expect to look forward to the thing every month. But you don't. At least, I don't.

Going back to an earlier thread -- the Nation's editing. There IS plenty of bad editing that goes on there, but the only two Nation editors I've worked with consistently have been very, very good at their jobs. I've been lucky. Just wanted to point out for the record that it's not a monolith.