Mencken, thou shouldst be living at this hour

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sat Aug 31 22:56:39 PDT 2002

On Aug, 31 Sep 2002, The Economist was quoted talking about

> The Left Behind series

Has anyone ever read any of these? I was just wondering if they were at all gripping. Because the movie _The Rapture_ is kind of weirdly fascinating. If the books were as interesting as that, the fact that 7 million people -- 2.5% of the population -- were fired up about them wouldn't strike me as at all odd in this land of a thousand mini cults, where women meet to discuss at great length their shared fantasies of Spock and Kirk having sex.

Michael