BG on BO'R

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 2 12:03:49 PST 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> Approx. 50% of US citizens didn't vote
> in 2000. 75% didn't vote for Bush............

About the same percentage didn't vote for Reagan. Yet "Leninists" are sneered at if we suggest that 25% of the population would make a huge mass movement. We are then mere vanguardists (undefined except it is assumed that it is the nastiest form of leadership). But someone who starts out with 15 to 20 percent of the population already for him because their grandfathers were for Coolidge or Landon and who recites in a melodious voice all the cliches of bourgeois received ideas (and which are repeated form him by all the mass media), and who by that means succeeds in persuading another 5% (most of whom voted for Nixon or Eisenhower), and then is given free those who is Republican opponents had held, is thereby a wonderful model for "the left" to emulate.

Carrol