Re: Michael Löwy , "Globalization and Internationalism"

Ulhas Joglekar uvj at vsnl.com
Tue Dec 3 08:59:30 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

.> In his later writing Marx was to take a much more critical stance in
> regard to western colonialism in India and China, but it would remain
> for the modern theoreticians of imperialism -- Rosa Luxemburg and
> Lenin -- to formulate a _radical_ Marxist challenge to "bourgeois
> civilization" from the point of view of its victims, namely the
> colonized peoples.

This assumes that victims had no knowledge Imperialism and could not provide any real challenge to it. Even radical challenge to Eurocentrism must come from Europe ! I am not saying this because I am a "Third Worldist". On the contrary. I don't find the term "Third World" useful. There is no real object out there called the Third World. My point is that mere inversion of Imperialist ideology can not produce real knowledge of diverse objects called the colonized people or post-colonial people.

How much Lenin really knew about colonies, beyond the general point that they are exploited?

Ulhas