Michael Löwy ,"Globalization and Internationalism"

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Dec 3 16:25:53 PST 2002

>Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>> Löwy is discussing theory, and you are demanding empirical studies.
>> Obviously both are necessary. What is your theory of imperialism,
>> btw?
>
>I don't have a Theory of Everything and I don't need it.
>
>Ulhas

A theory about imperialism isn't "a theory of everything." Besides, everyone has a theory of sorts about how the world we live in is structured, whether the theory is consciously held or not. Even an idea that there is no such thing as imperialism today or that it is not possible to know if imperialism still exists needs its own theoretical framework to make sense. You've suggested, without elaborating, that you disagree with both Löwy and Bill Warren, to take just two examples whose thoughts differ significantly. I surmise that you stand somewhere in-between, though I don't know exactly where you are coming from. I also realize that you think you disagree with me, given the styles of your replies; however, as you often appear to attribute to me the positions that I do not actually hold, I'm once again uncertain about whether there is even an actual disagreement between us. -- Yoshie