weird Hitchens comments on Israel

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Dec 4 22:38:10 PST 2002

Justin wrote:

>More murderous = murders more people. Don't be obtuse.

To me, "murderous" connotes an element of malice. There's no denying that the number of casualties directly attributable to US foreign policy far exceeds anything Al Qaeda could have reasonably hoped to reach. However, I don't think that provides grounds enough for proclaiming that the US must not employ military action of any sort in their attempts to minimize the threat posed by Al Qaeda.

>I didn't know, but I might have surmised. Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out.

Not quite my view. Before the war in Afghanistan, I thought doing nothing might well be the best course of action (perhaps I'll end up believing that again in retrospect). Explain to me just how a police investigation would've incapacitated one of the world's largest international terrorist organizations?

-- Luke -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20021204/e497faab/attachment.htm>