Carlos Ortega, CTV/AD Venezuela

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Thu Dec 5 11:36:12 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>

>Chavez as a government leader has NO RIGHT to try to strongarm internal
>decisions of an independent union.

-What's so "independent" about CTV? CTV leaders take orders from -FEDECAMARAS (the association of business owners) and continue to -fraternize with "admirals who assisted in the coup":

Independent unions have the right to associate with and make coalitions with anybody they like, whether communist parties or business federations, and even engage in general strikes demanding new elections. I've seen zero evidence that the CTV is "taking orders" from business groups; they are sharing strategy.

What is all this whining about associating with people involved in coups. Chavez led a frigging coup against a previous government, so are all those who associate with him subject to authoritarian jailings if the opposition wins government again?

And BTW to repeat, I still think Chavez is preferable to the opposition forces, but I think a consistent support for democratic principles and independent unionism is even more preferable.

-- Nathan Newman